Build your own blog or hire a designer?
That’s the question.
Some would say that having your own original, custom designed blog is well worth the cost of hiring a website designer.
Others would say that there are now so many beautiful themes to choose from that you don’t really need to hire a designer at all.
So who’s right?
Well personally, I think there’s a place for both. It just depends on where you are in your blogging journey, what you need your blog to do and, of course, what you can afford to spend.
So, if you’re starting a blog or trying to grow your existing blog and struggling to decide whether to DIY it or hire a professional, then carry on reading.
Build Your Own Blog
So many times I’ve seen people excited to start out blogging, only to get so bogged down in the design that they never actually start. Their blogging journey is over before they’ve even written a word.
Buying a theme is a quick way to get started. And there are so many great themes to choose from that you don’t have to compromise on quality. You can easily create a beautifully designed, fully functional blog for a fraction of the price of a custom design.
Most premium themes these days allow you to easily customise the colours and fonts and, in some cases, the layout.
The only downside of course is that if you want to add in elements that are not part of the theme then you may have to learn to code it yourself or accept that you might have to compromise.
You may also end up with the same blog design as a hundred other people.
You should build your own blog if…
- You’re just starting out and want to get your blog up and running quickly so you can start writing.
- You don’t mind not having a totally original website design.
- You just need basic blog functionality. No fancy added features.
- You can’t afford a custom website design.
Hire a Website Designer
You can easily create a beautiful blog with a premium theme. But a custom designed blog can help set you apart from all the other bloggers out there.
Being specially designed for you means that it is completely unique and you have to option to build in additional functionality that you may not be able to get from a standard theme.
It also shows your readers that you are serious about your blog
The downside? The cost of course. A well-designed custom website will set you back anything upwards of £1,000. And that’s a cheap one.
You also need to find a designer who fits with your style and understands what you want to achieve with your design. There’s nothing worse than shelling out a ton of money for a design, only to get something that isn’t quite what you wanted or needed.
You should hire a designer if…
- You’ve been blogging for a while and now you’re ready to step it up to the next level with a website that is 100% unique to you.
- You haven’t got the time to build your own blog – you’d rather focus on your writing and let someone else take care of the hard stuff for you.
- You’re ready to invest in your blog and turn it into a career.
- You need certain custom functionality or features that you just can’t get with a theme.
- You are in a position to invest in a custom design.